Thursday, July 29, 2010

An angel sent me to a biker bar to help a little girl dying of cancer

Bailei Rhom just turned 6 years old. She will never live to see 7 years old. In December 2009, she was diagnosed with a rare brain and spinal cancer. She survived one major and two minor operations. She traveled to Chapel Hill for chemotherapy and radiation treatment. She stayed tough and positive. Just five weeks ago she was cancer free. She had fought the impossible battle and won. It was all a miracle.

In the meantime, friends had been thinking about planning a benefit for Bailei's family because the financial costs were more than adding up. Her father had stayed by her side, accompanying her to appointments, working only odd jobs so that Daddy could be there for his little girl. It was all sad, but Bailei was cancer free and hopes were high that enough money could be raised to at least help the family for the next few months, until they get could back on their feet, until life could return to normal.

That all changed July 14th. Bailei had a post-op check-up on that day and the family learned new tumors had developed. But these tumors were much stronger than the first, and there was no cure. No maybe's. No if's. Just the cold hard fact that Bailei would not be alive much longer. The family was understandably shocked. Friends celebrating Bailei's earlier miraculous recovery were at a loss of words to comfort the family. All anyone could do, was cry. And pray. Hospice has been called in to care for Bailei at home and now the family needs financial help to make her last days happy ones. And they need money to bury her.

Amanda Shelton stepped up to to take on the benefit and make it a bigger and, unfortunately, a much sadder, but very necessary event. She's organized a Benefit Motorcyle Run for Bailei's family this Sunday starting at 12:30. The run's planned route is such: Shart at Shakey's at 12:30, then on to Just One More, Mtn. View, Fairview Tavern, Mark's Place, Hollands and then back to Shakey's for food and a benefit auction. Cost is $10 per person to participate in the run.

I've never met the beautiful Bailei, nor had I met Amanda Shelton until last night. I was in want of a cold beer and didn't know exactly where I was interested in going. I drove down by the river, thinking I might head to one of the local microbreweries that is catching so much attention these days. But, it didn't feel right. I kept traveling along Riverside Drive and remembered a biker bar I had not seen the inside of in years. That's where I was going to stop.

When I got inside, I gravitated to a corner, near where Amanda Shelton was busy writing on her yellow note pad. She asked me if I was going to be there this Sunday for the event. What event? I asked. She told  me and asked me to please tell other people. Telling other people what is going on and helping coordinate special events is what I do. What I've been doing for at least the last 20 years.

I had no reason to stop in Shakey's yesterday, except I was meant to. I'm convinced my own Earl (the angel from TNT's now defunct Saving Grace) led me there, put me on a mission to help get the word out and find a few extra donations to auction off. I didn't get to see any fancy wings or blinding light, but my heart and head just knew - just simply and surely knew - what had happened. Now I know some people might think, 'yeah right, an angel is going to take you into a bar for a beer. A biker's bar at that. You're just making up excuses.' Most people who currently know me know I don't need to make up excuses for my actions, and I have no problem stopping in places where I don't know anyone and striking up an interesting conversation. So there's my story of how I got involved. How are you involved in this story?

Here's a link to a facebook event page that explains more about the day.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1250196113347#!/event.php?eid=143734528975540&ref=ts

Hope to see you Sunday. If you can't make it to the event however, and would like to make a cash donation, you can stop at Shakey's at 790 Riverside Drive and give it to the bartender (828-271-6685). Or you can call Amanda Shelton, event organizer, at (828) 712-4974.


4 comments:

  1. steve rhom11:23 AM

    thank you people so much cant even put it in words steve (bailei's dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all love you Steve! And yes thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    this is baileis mawmaw brenda thank everybody from the bottom of your hearts a may god bless all of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking for myself, and my friend Rosie, who volunteered to auction the items, THANK YOU for letting us being involved. I'm so sorry for your pain and there's no way I can truly understand it all. I hope it at least somewhat comforts you to know that Bailei is definitely one of God's little angels.

    ReplyDelete