Sunday, July 11, 2010

I love Big Lots

One reason I love Big Lots is because they have a public restroom up front at the store for anyone to use. Yes, even those backpacking all of their worldly goods looking for a place to wash up. I remember when Wall St. in Asheville had finished its renovation way back when. You could walk through on Wall Street, end up downstairs on Patton Ave. Shiny new stores and bathrooms for the public. Yee-haw. Really. It was a big deal. For, a while, that is. Turned out that some of Asheville's downtown homeless population also discovered those bathrooms.

There went access. Those bathrooms got locked up quicker than the family Thanksgiving turkey before it's time to put in on the table and you're trying to sneak an early bite. Those restrooms were locked up unless you were a tourist or someone who looked *decent*. Whatever that means.

But I digress. In Big Lots, you can find all sorts of treats. Like foot powder for $1 a bottle. Or lavender smelling Epsom salts. Or there's the garden aisle with all kinds of low-priced trinkets. Which is where I found myself today. I've been in there a few times lately and have been eyeballing this frog wind chimes. I don't think they're going to make a lot of noise (no they don't croak ribbit), but I was waiting for them to go on sale. Today was that day. There was only one froggy left, and I grabbed that sucker. And another one with blue glass and a pretty fish in the middle. I don't know how they will sound around my yard yet. Not a bit of wind blowing. But, I did enjoy walking around Big Lots, both chimes hooked on my cart. I twinkled wherever I walked. Too bad I couldn't bring that shopping cart home also.

No comments:

Post a Comment