Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Left eyeball in corner pocket

Here's the short - and I mean short - version of my eye story: I got hit in my left eye when I was nine-years-old with a glow-in-the-dark super ball one summer while we were on vacation, visiting my dad's oldest sister in Houston. My favorite aunt, I'd like to add. I spent the rest of that summer, flat on my back, in the Ennis, Texas hospital with both eyes shut tight with surgical tape and gauze. Eyes are quite regenerative and can heal themselves. My eye doctor, recommended by the Mayo clinic, thought mine might do so. It's pretty darn hard for a very active 9-year-old to accept laying flat on the back for the entire summer.

My eye did not heal and I had to have a surgery. That's caused several surgeries since. I had a cornea transplant 9 years ago and that cornea has gone bad. I need a new one. Before I can get a new one, the glaucoma in that left eye needs to stabilize. I had a surgery in early January to help do so. It ain't working. My eyesight is worse. I wear an eye patch because the vision in that eye is so cloudy, it literally makes me more dizzy than I am already. j/k. But, it does mess with my vision and eye muscles, and does make me dizzy, so it's best to sometimes just wear the patch.

I saw my glaucoma doctor today and the pressure is *somewhat* stabilized. Of course, it could be sky high tomorrow and my eyeball will feel like it's going to explode. There's no way to monitor my pressure on my own. I am to see my corneal surgeon soon to find out what he thinks. I'm going to talk with him about these new studies coming out that corneas can be made new again from certain *good* eye cells. I'm going to offer myself up for research. What do I have to lose? An eye? Well, that's pretty much happened anyway. What do I have to gain? Perhaps everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment