Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Zach's story - experiencing defeat and failure, and a refusal to permit it to define his character

*Tracy's note: (January, 20, 2012) This is a repost of a story I wrote almost two years ago. In light of the ruling that Asheville schools have been ordered to pay $791,000 to area charter schools, I thought it'd be a fine time to re-share this tale. I'd like to add that Zach is now a thriving sophomore at Asheville High School and is involved with the A.V.I.D. (Advancement Via Individual Determination) program, that is helping him prepare for college and requires he take honor classes each year. Through this program, we no longer struggle over homework issues and this year Zach passed all EOC's without having to retake any tests. An accomplishment he has long awaited. This program reminds me of his Evergreen schooling and we are all very pleased with it.

My point is this: It's all about the student, people ... and charter schools and programs such as Asheville High's AVID get that. Time for everyone else to jump on board.*

Summer vacation is quickly evaporating. Each day I am aware this may be the last summer Zach and I spend so much time together in our little cocoon we call home. He goes into high school this coming fall and chances are next summer he will be working, driving and probably spending more time with friends or on the football field. Zach is a fighter and has already proved he has what it takes to be a leader. He has learned this the hard way.

Zach graduated this summer from Evergreen Community Charter School, here in Asheville. It was his second go around as an 8th grader. It was not an easy decision for us to make, nor an easy one for him to accept. We held him back because he just wasn't prepared for 9th grade. He has learning disabilities, which means nothing other than to say my husband and I had to fight to keep him in Evergreen for 8th grade again because Zach’s teachers had come to believe he just wasn’t trying. We tested him last spring and discovered the root of his problems. We spent money on brain training programs, and with no thanks to Blue Cross (who considered the software 'alternative' therapy, therefore would not cover any of the costs), Zach improved his memory retention by 20 points. He spent last summer working on the brain programs, 45 minutes a day, five days a week, for five weeks. Not first choice in how a 14-year-old wanted to spend a summer. We also discovered teaching and homework strategies that would help him to learn to the best of his abilities.

Zach was told he had to prove himself at the end of the first trimester, or he would be asked to leave Evergreen. Zach was motivated to stay there and proved himself more than worthy of graduating from the school. He was given an excellent+ report at our final parent/student/teacher conference; something we were afraid he would never achieve. We, and his homeroom teacher, cried to see a kid who just about everybody, including other students/friends, had given up on. Yet, he fought, and fought hard. He more than succeeded and proved so many, including himself, wrong.

His work paid off and he was rewarded with one of five prestigious awards given to 8th graders leaving Evergreen. It added to the joy that the award was presented to him by his favorite teacher. After the ceremony, this teacher came up to me, my eyes filled with tears, as were his. He told me when discussion about this award came up; only one name was mentioned. That name was Zach Hyorth. I post this speech, not only to record the event, but to remind the world: Don't ever give up on a student. They may have issues that are unknown. Take the time to look, to ask, to discover, find out what that student is thinking and feeling. You might just find that you can change that young person's life forever. Another bonus from this award: Each teacher came up and thanked me for fighting to keep Zach in 8th grade again. Although most statistics show - and most teachers believe - that holding back is not the best choice that is not always the case. Those teachers are also forever changed by Zach's story.

From Tony Mele, middle school social studies teacher, Evergreen Charter School:

-- 'Ladies and Gentlemen:

This year I’ve been asked to present the White Pine Award – in recognition of the student who demonstrated perseverance and admirable determination in the pursuit of a personal or academic goal.

As a teacher, I’ve had the privilege of giving many awards to my students, and I can honestly tell you I don’t know that I’ve ever presented one that I’m prouder of. As I prepare each year for what I intend to say, I always try to take a moment and reflect on two things:

One … What have I learned from this student? And …
Two … How does this student really personify this award?

I’ve learned something about enthusiasm, an infectious smile, and a determination to give a personal best.

I’ve learned something about reflection, honesty, and trust.

I’ve learned something about facing disappointment, and how to demonstrate a courage and dignity in pushing through it.

I’ve learned about choosing the easier, softer way … recognizing the cost, and then making the harder choice.

I’ve learned about leaving behind the invisible, and striving to be exceptional.

I’ve learned something about experiencing defeat and failure, and a refusal to permit it to define a character.

I’ve learned something about the difference between trying, and doing, and how that discovery can change the course of a life.

And most memorable of all, I’ve learned about the remarkable courage a young man can demonstrate when faced with standing in front of his parents, teachers, and peers, no place to hide, humbled, and yet driven and determined in spite of anything any of us might have said to the contrary.

Does this students’ action define this award?

Does he exemplify Perseverance … and admirable determination?

I feel his commitment, his incredible growth, and his inspiring passion are the true personifications of these qualities.

And so I couldn’t be more honored to present the White Pine Award to Zach Hyorth.'

Zach's struggles are not yet behind him, but he is ready to face them head on. I love you, Zach. God blessed me with you, and I could not be more proud. I cannot wait to see what you are going to teach the world. Until, then, I'm going to savor what is left of our summer together.

5 comments:

  1. Tracy, what an AWESOME story!! I hope Zach makes a good transition into high school...sure sounds like he will! Its obvious you are a very good and caring parent. These days, that alone is half the battle. Having parents who care. I know your Dad would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I know your Dad IS proud, because I'm sure he's smiling down, from the best seat in the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jo Lynn. It was a bittersweet moment. We so wanted Daddy to be there to see the graduation. We did not know Zach was going to win the award. The teachers decided they wanted to surprise us also. How wonderful it would have been for Daddy to be there also. But you're right, he did have the best seat in the house. And, Zach, said he felt his grandfather's strength and love there with him. That was enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing something personal yet universal. Your child, your journey together, not giving up gives me reason to keep going when I want to stop trying or think "I can't".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, traceyj. No denying it's a tough road, but one worth taking. good luck to you with whatever you are dealing with; you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete