Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lunch with my bio sister - shocking, expected, mostly awkward

It took forever for her to look at me. Really look at me. Until we actually sat down to eat, she aimed most of her conversation at my husband. When I first walked through the restaurant, I noticed her right away; we’ve seen each other’s twitter picture, so I acknowledged her. She held out her hand, said “Nice to meet you.” I said, “Nice to meet you also.” She and her husband were waiting in line to check the reservation list. I had not made a reservation. Nerves took over. This was no ordinary ‘how do you do?’ meeting. No matter how casual we tried to act.

I’m adopted, have found my bio parents. Or at least I’ve found my bio mom for sure. Thought I had found and met my bio dad also, but some questions have recently been raised. This meeting was between me and my bio sister on my mom’s side to talk about some of these new questions. Husbands were invited. She took off her glasses, and I saw a smaller, slimmer version of myself. Her eyes are blue like mine, but hers are bright blue. Ocean bright blue. Mine? Well, one is messed up because of all my eye surgeries and the other one is more of a true blue. If someone had gotten a picture of us together, you’d be able to tell we were sisters. My husband noticed that immediately. I would like to have gotten a picture of me and my bio sister but it wasn’t going to happen. It wasn’t that kind of family gathering.

This meeting was set up to clarify some questions that don’t need to be exposed here, but she’s known about me since she was a teenager and has been perfectly fine with the relationship as it is. Or, rather as it is not. On the surface, you would have thought two couples had just met, decided to have lunch together. The usual ‘get to know you’ comments and questions were asked. How many children do you have? What’s the weather like where you live? Exactly what part of Texas is your town nearby? How long have you been in Asheville? So on and so on.

When the plates were cleared, it was time to get down to business. I brought up the reason for our get-together. Questions and comments were once more exchanged. These were more serious and personal. Some shocking. Some expected. All awkward.

No definite answers at this meeting, but we left with a better understanding of this very strange situation in which we found ourselves. Neither one of us had expected this in our lives. She’s the oldest in her family; she had just met an older sister. I’m the youngest in my adopted family, but I had just met my little bio sister.

When there was nothing more to say, once again she held out her hand and said “Nice to have met you.” I returned her handshake. We turned and left in our own directions. I’m not sure if we will ever physically be together again. Probably not. That is her choice. But, I do know that each of us left that restaurant a changed woman. Whether we care to admit it, or not.

4 comments:

  1. Brave! Thanks for opening up your life to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More brave for her than for me. I've been through a few of these meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. doesn't sound as if your sister had feelings for you because of her conditioning.think she's been led to believe you are really not part of her family.who knows if she would ever change??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Tracy, When I reunited with my 40 year old son, my two raised sons didn't know he existed. My raised daughter knew she had an older brother. I had to explain it all...I have 4 adult children...my son lost to adoption, a raised daughter and 2 raised sons. I decided once they knew since they were all adults, I'd just open the door and let them decide what kind of relationship they wanted so I sent addresses and phone numbers and stood aside. My son has relationships with his half sister and my youngest son, his half sib. My middle son has met him, but isn't interested in much of a relationship. My sister, who also never knew about him, wants NO relationship with him at all. He met his natural father and as far as I know he's never met his father's raised daughters. Robin Westbrook wrote a great blog on Motherhood Deleted about the effects reunion has on extended family. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete