Saturday, September 4, 2010

Someone kidnapped Asheville's cool summer breezes this year

No. No. No. There's a chill blowing through my bedroom window. My bedroom window will get shut tonight and probably for a few more nights while we experience the remnants of Hurricane Earl that only waved his hand at the East Coast as he cruised on by. The window will be back open in a few days.

While the cooler weather is a pleasant change, it represents what's soon to come next: THE DREADED WINTER. Let me say that again: THE DREADED WINTER. Do you get the point that I don't like winter here in the mountains of WNC? Particularly if we have one like last year that resulted in kids having to attend school almost two weeks into their summer vacations. (Winter is when I am jealous of our Floridian half-timers. I want one of them to take me back to Florida with them for the winter. Or even better, veer out of their way and drop me off at my niece's house just outside of Dallas.)

I know. Fall is a grand 'ole time of year and there is no better place to live than in Appalachia during the annual changing of the leaves. But we didn't get to really enjoy our summer this year. Someone kidnapped Asheville's cool summer breezes that make you feel like frolicking down by the river, fishing for who cares what. Replaced them with hot, humid daze and outdoor warnings for those unlucky enough to have asthma or any type of breathing issues. Closed indoors with air conditioners running full blast. Yuck! Really, that's all I can think to say about this year's summer. Just yuck.

So I'll look on the bright side of having to shut my window tonight. Perhaps when our last bit of summer returns in a week or so, it will be our ransomed and returned Asheville summer. Back at home at where the cool Carolina blue belongs. At least for a few more weeks. Then I'll be ready for the chill of fall and the bonfires we light to toast its arrival. And the horde of tourists that comes with the falling leaves, but the tourists will be left for another blog, another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment