Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dance and enjoy whatever times I'm pondering

Seems like yesterday. That was forever ago.

I go back and forth between those two sentiments. Sometimes, I'll think about an event and it is as clear to me as if it was yesterday. I can summon up the same feelings I had at that time, and as long as I don't look in the mirror I can just about imagine myself in that place and time. But reality always hits. It is certainly not yesterday. Other times, I'm shocked as to what someone tells me about a moment they remember about a discussion we had or something we did together because I have no idea. It's as if they're telling me a brand new story, one that I've never heard, much less was a willing and happy participant.

I'm curious as to why some points in our life seem closer to us than others. Is it the emotional value? Were we attached to something then that we just don't want to give up? Are we lacking something today? Is there an issue still unresolved? Was it a happier time? Or any other number of reasons unknown? Or does it even matter why? A lot of people say "Get over it, why dwell on the past, move forward," and on and on and on. They seem happy - almost adamant - to remind that it might as well have been in a past life, and you'd best be thinking about today before it too becomes one of those long ago memories.

I don't disagree with living in the moment. Makes the moment much more alive. Then you move on to the next moment and enjoy it. But, I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about those "seems like yesterday" occasions as long as we don't get stuck back there. Then we probably do need a visit to the loony bin, but that's not what I'm talking about here. In the big scheme of things, over millions and millions of years, those yesterday times really aren't that far back. They can also help us keep people who may no longer be a part of our 'today's world' close not only in memory, but in heart.

So the next time someone points out that my sweet, or even not so sweet memory is old-time boogie, I'm going to pull out my ipod, (hook it up to its speakers so they can join in with me), and dance as if I were still able to move all those body parts as easily and wacky as I did 'way back when.' Because if I don't dance and enjoy whatever times I'm pondering, then I really have lost my chance to seize the joy of the moment at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment