Friday, February 10, 2012

We're not quite flying around in George Jetson type cars ... maybe soon

I am totally all over the place today. Metaphorically that is. About the only thing I'm doing around Asheville is having dropped Zach off at school and going to pick him up soon. Not sure I'll look much different from the hippie attire I was wearing this morning - me wrapped in a purple Indian blanket, wearing my 'life is good' warm jammie pants and a black & white toboggan hat to keep my ears warm and bed-head hidden. (Hey it's Asheville ... I looked not at all out of place for an early morning mom drop-off and besides, it's my day off.)

Nope. Where I've gone today is around the world on my laptop and tablet. Made new friends. Learned what's happening in issues important to me. Just doing some internet cruising. Amazing when you really think about it. Who'd a thunk it? And if you remember when calculators cost over a $100 bucks, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Alphie read me a tweet he'd gotten from someone, somewhere, this morning: "Fifty years from now, your kids are not going to want to listen to you talk about twitter."

Yep. That's for sure. Zach could care less now when we tell him we only grew up with maybe - maybe - four TV stations and that's only because we both lived in or near big cities. And he surely isn't interested in hearing about how hard it was to find a good radio station if you happened to be visiting somewhere out in the boondocks of Texas. He sits, nods and smiles. Surrounded by his smart phone, ipod touch, laptop, all while flipping through Pandora radio. He's saving up for some wireless headphones.

We're not quite flying around in George Jetson type cars as I'd hoped we'd be doing by now, but that time may happen in Zach's lifetime. Amazing. Just amazing.

P.S. And just in case you're wondering, I won't be wearing by favorite purple blanket when I go to pick Zach up, but I am going to have that 'boggan cap on. It's cold outside ... ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ha - picture of that getup needed! Great as always. I'm amazed at how little the kids want to create new technology or understand how it works. They are born consumers and just take for granted it will advance, but more of them need to take the challenge of inventing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the picture. Alphie says I looked homeless. ha! so, it's not going online. I think kids of all generations are born consumers to some extent. I know I sure liked to shop. I also know some kids who are doing some incredible inventing; way above my head and they're not even 18. And Zach likes to do woodworking, so certainly not all is lost. But when I look back at some of my dad's sermons and the stories he would use to illustrate his points ... he had to read many, many newspapers or make several trips to the library. Sometimes I wish our world were still like that. But on the very bright side, I'm totally enjoying reconnecting with my old friends and meeting new online .... :) Tracy

    ReplyDelete